Identification requirements

In order to vote, you must bring one of the following forms of authorized identification that establishes both your name and current address.

View Alberta's Chief Electoral Officer's Authorized Identification.

Voter identification examples

Government issued identity documents

  • Alberta Operator’s (Driver’s) Licence; or
  • Alberta Identification Card; or

Government issued documents

  • Government cheque or cheque stub; or
  • Income/property tax assessment notice; or
  • Statement of government benefits (e.g. employment insurance, old-age security, social assistance, disability support or child tax benefit); or

School, college, or university documents

  • Correspondence issued by a school, college or university; or

Other documents

  • Bank/credit card statement or personal cheque; or
  • Insurance policy or coverage card; or
  • Letter from a public curator, public guardian or public trustee; or
  • Pension Plan statement of benefits, contributions or participation; or
  • Residential lease or mortgage statement; or
  • Utility bill (e.g. telephone, public utilities commission, television, electric, gas or water); or
  • Vehicle ownership, registration or insurance certificate


A form (attestation) can be used to confirm the residential address if the voter does not have one of the accepted pieces of identification. It must be signed by a landlord, student residence, supportive living facility or emergency shelter.

Vote 2018 Attestation form